Leading sports teams are looking to “up-skill” their more technical staff.
They want to avoid the cost, disruption and competitive disadvantage of losing their best talent.
The more technically adept practitioners, such as Performance Analysts, Biomech’s, Physiologists, and even Coaches and Heads of Sport Science, end up the “go-to” people for all manner of technical issues.
When they get stuck themselves they are often isolated.
With limited options, they then waste hours aimlessly searching Google for help.
Technologies are moving on fast too.
Technical staff feel pigeonholed and left behind. Many are considering leaving their teams only to have the opportunity to develop new skills.
They also struggle to make the time to refine the tools and processes they are currently using.
Not because they couldn’t with focus and support but because of the urgency of “the day job” – that relentless pressure to “just get the next report out-the-door.”
Of course, external consultancy’s deliver great solutions here.
However, with projects taking many weeks and the cheapest rates in excess of £500 per day, even the simplest innovation initiative ends up costing teams thousands.
It is not just the cost either.
Traditionally consultancy’s offer little transfer of “know-how” back to their customers.
Yes, new tools improve areas of performance but, at best, a sports team’s “Organisational Data IQ” remains static.
And all the time, your undervalued talent remains at risk of walking out the door …
They see the need to invest in their technical staff to keep them.
They also see the opportunity to use that investment to improve the whole team’s data and reporting capability.
The best technical practitioners make a big difference to a sports team:
– They develop a deep understanding of their sport.
– Foster great relationships with coaches, management and athletes.
– Save significant time and money, with better reporting, efficient tools and reduced need for external spend.
They can add a lot of value.
If they had personalised, step-by-step guidance on what to do next, to develop themselves, their tools and their teams processes, plus, help when they were stuck … then they could offer so much more.
We’ve seen the challenges technical staff face.
Combining our motorsports, engineering, sports and business experience, we’ve successfully delivered countless tools and systems to help individuals and their teams.
Over the last two Olympic cycles, we’ve worked with practitioners, coaches and management from nearly 40 different International Sports and Sports agencies.
We’ve mentored, advised and supported.
Sometimes all it takes to get unstuck is talking to the right person at the right time.
What we’re offering is no-nonsense advice they can put into action immediately.
No generic “hand-wavy” principles but insight and guidance customised specifically to meet each individuals, and each teams, development goals.
We start with a 90-minute workshop with the practitioner. This can be either in-person or remote. If it’s remote we’ll record the session and share it so that it can be referenced in future.
We’ll discuss the current state of their work and how it’s operating within the team. We’ll identify the individuals goals, team ambitions and anything they think might be holding them back from reaching these.
Together we’ll identify one or more innovation projects for them to complete. Projects should be a development of an existing tool or process that is valuable to the team.
We’ll choose the first and get them to identify how it can be improved. The projects should be achievable by them but aim to stretch their technical experience.
We’ll then provide specific, personalised, step-by-step guidance on approaching each project they do under our wing, how to overcome the challenges and reach the goals.
– Every-other-week 1-on-1 Video Call. Every other week we’ll meet for 60 minutes to discuss their work, any new challenges, track progress, hold them accountable, and figure out next steps.
– Unlimited 1-on-1 Access. If they get stuck along the way, they can message us at anytime and receive a prompt, thought through response.
– The Project Outcomes. The projects deliver direct value to the team via improved tools and/or processes. Firstly they will get done. Secondly, with our support, the quality of the outcomes will be high. This means the team will also realise a significant saving on what might otherwise have been outsourced.
– Motivated Practitioner. The practitioner will be enthused. They will also be armed to identify and tackle new innovation projects for the team, on their own.
– Data Analytics Health Check. Your team will receive specific, actionable and direct feedback on improving all aspects of data use, reporting and tools. We’ve developed a data health check for sports teams. This is a detailed data strategy tool for senior management. Through a separate 60-minute 1-on-1 Video “Discovery Session” we will work through the section on “Data & Analysis.” After, we will provide personalised recommendations, considering the data maturity of your team.
1-on-1 Coaching is £1,250+VAT per month, plus any pre-agreed expenses.
It takes a little while to get traction, so we suggest an initial commitment of 3 months.
Excellent understanding of the sporting environment and how to bring simplicity whilst incorporating technical analysis.
Hugh Styles, Lead Podium Coach
I'm very happy indeed with progress.
Barry Fudge, Head of Sport Science & Endurance
We’ve currently only got 3 slots for the 1-on-1 coaching.
Scheduling is “first come, first served.”
This could expand soon but we’re committed to keeping quality high for those currently signed-up.
p.s. Our founder, Samir Abid, is an Associate Teaching Fellow at Warwick Business School. Here he supervises and marks dissertations for the schools MBA students. With a high strike rate of students getting distinctions, he’s enjoyed helping others develop. This coaching programme is based on that successful model, enabling us to help more people back in our industry.
p.p.s. Questions? Thats great. Email Samir at info at paceinsights.com